The University of Mississippi is a community of learning dedicated to nurturing excellence in intellectual inquiry and personal character in an open and diverse environment. As a voluntary member of this community:
I believe in respect for the dignity of each person.
I believe in fairness and civility.
I believe in personal and professional integrity.
I believe in academic honesty.
I believe in academic freedom.
I believe in good stewardship of our resources.
I pledge to uphold these values and encourage others to follow my example.
UM Mission Statement
The University of Mississippi’s mission is to create, evaluate, share and apply knowledge in a free, open and inclusive environment of intellectual inquiry.
Building upon a distinguished foundation in the liberal arts, the state’s oldest university serves the people of Mississippi and the world through a breadth of academic, research and professional programs.
The University of Mississippi provides an academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking; encourages intellectual depth and creativity; challenges and inspires a diverse community of undergraduate, graduate and professional students; provides enriching opportunities outside the classroom; supports lifelong learning; and develops a sense of global responsibility.
UM Core Values
In pursuing its mission, the University of Mississippi:
- Reaffirms its identity and purpose as fundamentally academic
- Nurtures excellence in teaching, learning, creativity and research
- Provides the best and most accessible undergraduate education in the state of Mississippi
- Offers high quality graduate and professional programs
- Protects academic freedom and cultivates individual integrity and academic honesty
- Promotes inclusiveness in its student body, faculty and staff
- Requires respect for all individuals and groups
- Fosters a civil community of shared governance and collaborative endeavors
- Practices good stewardship of its resources
- Devotes its knowledge and abilities to serve the state and the world
- Honors the dignity of all employees and compensates them fairly
Student Affairs Vision Statement
Student Affairs is a vital component in providing an environment in which University of Mississippi students can succeed. We are dedicated educators and passionate student advocates who provide extraordinary support services and learning opportunities. We believe in and model respect for all members of the university community. We are innovative and future-focused. Our fulfillment comes in helping students reach their full potential for the betterment of society and the world.
Respect the M
The 10 guiding principles of Respect the M are pay attention, acknowledge others, think the best, listen, be inclusive, be patient, speak kindly, don’t speak ill of others, do not harass people and respect others’ opinions.